Mom's At It Again

Saturday, August 11, 2007

I'm A Jonathan Girl...

What do you get when you mix a fairly successful actor of today, a couple of Jersey boys, a muscle head, an underage squeeler and one shy quiet type?

Heaven.

Ok, maybe not heaven but it definitely was to me at my daughters age (11/12). It blows my mind the kind of music she listens to. She's into the Panic At The Disco, Fall Out Boy, and AFI's. The girl get's all weak in the knees when you mention Pete Wentz. What the hell? I don't have a problem with the music itself...not long after growing out of my boy band age, I was listening to Metallica and Pantera, but not at 12. Not at my daughters age. Or was I? I guess I'm not so sure of the age I lost that NKOTB innocence, but my daughter seems so young. Is this a forecasting of her teen years? Will she be one of those brooding, depressed, always wearing dark colors, dating boys on skateboards with their underwear showing and a chain holding their wallet? Will she write sad poetry about the color black, tear drops, and lost love? Will she not want to come out of her room for years, and loose her desire to give me hugs and kisses every time she sees me? Will she come to realize I'm not cool anymore? So many questions.

I played this video for her the other day and she almost died of horror. She couldn't believe that I would or could ever have been so lame as to like a boy band, and worse than that, the first "real" boy band. She cursed them for making way for Backstreet and N*sync...told me how stupid the music was, how winy their voices were and how Pete could beat up my beloved Jonathan.....

Fine, maybe I'm lame...and weak for caving to my boy band obsession. Maybe so. New Kids were the shit back in the day, and definitely part of my childhood soundtrack. If you had asked me ten years ago if I ever listened to New Kids, I would have laughed you out of my house, so I could hide my Hangin' Tough CD. I was in the closet. But now, at almost 30, I think it's safe to admit my uncoolness, my deep seeded crush on Jonathan Knight (not to be confused with Jordan Knight, I hated Jordan), and my curiosity over Donny Wahlberg in a Public Enemy shirt. The hell?



And yes, this is from my own collection...yes, there is more where this came from, and yes if it doesn't liven up around here I'm gonna hafta pull out The Right Stuff.

Oh oh ohohoh.

6 Comments:

At August 11, 2007 at 8:22 PM , Blogger Mr. Ghost said...

Run for it...he's back. Hi Sweetheart, I love you...

 
At August 11, 2007 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Ro - Thirtyish.org said...

Who the hell is from Jersey?! lol

 
At August 12, 2007 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Mia said...

That was just me blogging while I'm half asleep lol Jersey, Boston...what's a couple hundred miles lol

 
At August 12, 2007 at 1:18 PM , Blogger cafegirl said...

Oh, baby, fight is OOOOOONNNNNN! I'm the one true Jonathan girl. Sorry hun, he's still mine. :) I really always thought I was the only one. Oh, well. Joey was my second fav...yours??????

 
At August 13, 2007 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Mia said...

Cafegirl - Jonathan is my pretend boyfriend...has been for years and years lol. And I figured I was the only one too! I guess my second fave would have been Donny, but he's really no comparison.

Mueja - Is that spam for Hi?

 
At August 14, 2007 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Janet said...

I was always a Joey girl but it doesn't matter, NKOTB rocked! It seems impossible to think about how big they once were, especially since they are never played on the radio, not even in a retro, remember that sorta way.

I remember arguing with my parents when they said they'd never be as big as the Beatles. This was in the middle of their heyday and my adolescence.

I guess I'm getting old because a lot of the emo "boy bands" of today all seem like such whiners and they all sound the same to me! I can't wait till the emo trend ends:(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home